SPECIAL CITY MEETING WARNING
FOR JUNE 20, 2017
The voters of the City of Montpelier are hereby notified and warned to meet at the City Hall Auditorium, in said Montpelier, on June 20, 2017, to vote by Australian ballot between the hours of 7:00 a.m., at which time the polls will open, and 7:00 p.m., at which time the polls will close, upon the following articles of business:
ARTICLE 1. Shall the City of Montpelier’s School Department, which the State Board of Education has found necessary to include in the proposed union school district, join with the school district of Roxbury, which the State Board of Education has found necessary to include in the proposed union school district, for the purpose of forming a union school district to be named the Montpelier-Roxbury Unified Union School District, as provided in Title 16, Vermont Statutes Annotated, upon the following conditions and agreements:
• Grades. The Montpelier-Roxbury Unified Union School District shall operate and manage schools offering instruction in grades Pre-Kindergarten through grade 12.
• Board of School Directors. The Montpelier-Roxbury Board of School Directors shall have 9 members. A member town’s representation on the School Board of the Montpelier-Roxbury Unified Union School District will be be based on proportional representation based on the 2010 census with two members with one weighted vote each from Roxbury and seven members with two weighted votes each from Montpelier. Each time there is a new decennial census, the proportionality of representation reflected in the specific numbers of directors allocated to each municipality shall be aligned to the new counts if necessary. At no time will a member town have less than one school director on the Unified Union School District Board.
• Assumption of debts and ownership of school property. The Montpelier-Roxbury Unified Union School District shall assume the indebtedness of member districts, acquire the school properties of member districts, and pay for them, all as specified in the final report.
• Final Report. The provisions of the final report proposed to the State Board of Education for approval on the 16th day of May, which is on file in the town clerk's office, shall govern the Montpelier-Roxbury Unified Union School District.
ARTICLE 2. To elect seven school directors to serve on the proposed Montpelier-Roxbury Unified Union School District from the date of the organizational meeting for the following terms and seats:
• Two (2) school directors from Montpelier to serve from the date of the organizational meeting through the date of the annual meeting in March 2019.
• Three (3) school directors from Montpelier to serve from the date of the organizational meeting through the date of the annual meeting in March 2020.
• Two (2) school directors from Montpelier to serve from the date of the organizational meeting through the date of the annual meeting in March 2021.
ARTICLE 3. Shall the voters modify the action taken at the November 4, 1980 special city meeting and amended at the March 6, 2001 annual meeting that authorizes the City Council to enter into tax stabilization contracts on behalf of the City of Montpelier as provided by 24 VSA 1741 with the owners of industrial and commercial real and commercial personal property, including additions and renovations to existing real and commercial personal property. (Proposed modification is underlined.)
ARTICLE 4. Should dogs be required to be leashed in Hubbard Park (advisory only).
The City Council is the legislative body of the community responsible for developing policies and ordinances that preserve and protect the health, safety, and welfare of all our residents.
Browse information about dog licensing requirements and city and state laws.
View details about voting districts, voter registration, ballot measures, and running for city office.
Here you can get access to indexed information for land records and other recorded information maintained by the City Clerk’s Office without traveling to each Town Clerk’s Office.
Find a Justice of the Peace and access the Vermont Application for License for Marriage.
Use the online system to make payments for parking tickets, taxes, water/sewer, and other city bills and fees.
Gather appeal instructions and view the tax appeals handbook.
Learn how to apply for business related licenses and view the fee schedule.
View birth, death, and marriage records and learn how to receive a certified copy.