The City Manager is the chief administrative officer of the City. Appointed by the City Council, the City Manager is responsible for day-to-day operations of the city, advising the Council on public policy, and ensuring that their policies are carried out in a professional manner.
The City Manager is responsible to the City Council for the administration of the affairs of the City including:
1) Ensures that all laws and ordinances are enforced
2) Exercises administrative control over all departments
3) Makes staff appointments and removals
4) Prepares the annual fiscal budgets submitted to the City Council for review and adoption prior to the annual meeting
5) Attends meetings of the City Council, takes part in the discussion, provides requested and relevant data, and makes recommendations for the determination of policy as the City Manager may deem expedient
6) Acts as purchasing agent for all City departments, except schools;
7) Set salaries and wages of all employees under the City Manager’s jurisdiction in accordance with fiscal budgets and personnel policies
8) Administers the personnel policies, job classifications, and pay plan and take final action on all personnel issues for positions under the Manager’s administrative control
9) Delegates responsibility for administrative duties to department heads and subordinate officers
(10) Perform such other duties as may be prescribed by the Charter or required by the City Council.