City of Montpelier home
A little capital goes a long way.
Advanced Search
May 27, 2011 Flood Information and Updates
Register with FEMA even if you called Vermont 2-1-1
If Vermont residents called the state's 2-1-1 service during or after the April storms and flooding to report their damages, it is not the same as registering for FEMA assistance. Vermont 2-1-1 is a permanent resource that provides information and referrals within the state. The FEMA registration line (1-800-621-3362) is the only phone number that enters flood survivors into the system for federal assistance.

Disaster assistance is now available for Addison, Chittenden, Essex, Franklin, Grand Isle, Lamoille and Orleans county residents who suffered losses related to severe storms and flooding from April 23 to May 9. Disaster officials with Vermont Emergency Management (VEM) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) urge people with uninsured or underinsured losses to register for help as soon as possible.

How do I apply for disaster assistance?
People may register online at or call FEMA's toll free registration number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or via web-enabled devices such as smart phones at Those with a speech disability or hearing loss who use a TTY may call 1-800-462-7585 directly; or call 1-800-621-3362 if using 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS). The toll-free telephone numbers operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. (EDT). It will take about 15 minutes to complete the process.

Before applicants call or go online, they should gather the following basic information to speed the process:

•Social Security number
•Telephone number where he/she can be reached
•Address of the damaged property
•Current mailing address
•Brief description of disaster-related damages and losses
•Insurance information
•Direct deposit information to help speed delivery of funds
Is there any cost associated with registering for disaster assistance?
No. There are no costs related to registering for or receiving federal disaster assistance.

What types of assistance may be provided?
Some of the types of assistance that may be available to eligible applicants through FEMA's Individuals and Households Program are:

•Temporary Housing -- rental payments for temporary housing for those whose homes are unlivable
•Repair -- grants to repair damage from the disaster that is not covered by insurance. The goal is to make the damaged home safe, sanitary and habitable.
•Other Needs Assistance -- grants for necessary and serious needs caused by the disaster. This includes medical, dental, funeral, personal property, transportation, vehicle repair or replacement, moving and storage, and other expenses that FEMA approves. The homeowner may need to apply for a Small Business Administration (SBA) loan before receiving this type of assistance.
Why is the SBA application important?
Completing and returning an SBA application is an essential part of the recovery process. If an applicant is found ineligible for an SBA loan, he or she may be referred for ONA or to other disaster services agencies. People may get information by calling SBA's Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955, 800-877-8339 for the speech- or hearing-impaired, by sending an e-mail to or visiting

What assistance can an applicant expect to receive?
FEMA disaster assistance is to help them get safe and sanitary housing and meet other critical needs so they can begin their long-term recovery. Assistance is not automatic, but is calculated based on the losses of each individual or household that files and qualifies.

What if someone has insurance?
Renters or homeowners who suffered any damage or loss should apply for assistance; there is no need to wait for an insurance inspection. When an insurance inspection is conducted, remember insurance coverage may not be adequate and some foundation damage may not show up until later. If an insurance settlement is delayed, call FEMA. Also call FEMA if the settlement does not cover losses or if the additional living expense benefit is exhausted. Remember, failure to file with an insurance company within 12 months can affect a person's eligibility for FEMA assistance.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders and to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). Those with a speech disability or hearing loss who use a TTY, call 1-800-462-7585 directly; or call 1-800-621-3362 if using 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS).

FEMA's temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

SBA disaster loan information and application forms may be obtained by calling the SBA's Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 (800-877-8339 for people with speech or hearing disabilities) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET or by sending an e-mail to Applications can also be downloaded from or completed on-line at

Last Modified: Tuesday, 28-Jun-2011 08:02:14



If you have had any flooding or storm damage, please call and report it to Vermont 2-1-1. 2-1-1 is collecting the information to qualify Vermont for an Individual Assistance declaration from FEMA . Whether you have insurance or not; if the damage is to your primary or secondary residence; even if you think you will not qualify, 2-1-1 would like to know the extent of your damage. Please forward and share with everyone so we can spread this information as far and wide as possible.

Just dial 2-1-1.
MaryEllen Mendl, Director
Vermont 2-1-1

a program of United Way

June 9, 2011

The City of Montpelier has Housing Preservation Grant emergency funds available for home owners who have suffered damage from the flood. The terms are: zero interest, payment upon the sale or transfer of the property.

There are income restrictions:
  • 1 person - $37,900 maximum income
  • 2 person - $43,300 maximum income
  • 3 person - $48,700 maximum income
  • 4 person - $54,100 maximum income
  • 5 person - $58,450 maximum income
  • 6 person - $62,800 maximum income
  • 7 person - $67,100 maximum income
  • 8 person - $71,450 maximum income
The loans can only go to residents of Montpelier.

Montpelier, Vermont, June 1, 2011


In response to the unprecedented flooding in our area, the Staff and Board of Central Vermont Solid Waste Management District are pleased to announce our Flood Relief Fund that will offer up to $200 per residential household or small business (of member towns) to help cover the disposal of flood related waste. These funds are limited; call our office at 800.730.9475 for more information on how to apply. We will also have information available on our website at

Member towns are: Barre City, Barre Town, Berlin, Bradford, Calais, Chelsea, East Montpelier, Hardwick, Middlesex, Montpelier, Orange, Plainfield, Tunbridge, Walden, Washington, Williamstown, and Woodbury

Disaster Relief Grant Form

Montpelier, Vermont, June 1, 2011

The following is an update report of roadwork and current road closures for Montpelier.

Gallison Hill Road:
  • Will remain closed at this time.
  • Construction will begin in coming days to install a temporary road and culvert.
  • The temporary road will be one way and will have alternating traffic controlled by a traffic signal package.
  • The anticipated re-opening of Gallison Hill is mid to late next week.
Gould Hill Road:
  • Work will be occurring on Thursday June 2, to repair and replace a damaged culvert.
  • The repair work will cause Gould Hill Road to be closed while the repair is completed
Phelps Street: Remains closed until mid to late next week between the intersections of Berlin Street and Roberts Street.

Parkway Street: Remains closed indefinitely at this time.

Barre Street: Will be closed for a tree removal between Pioneer and Granite Streets in the morning hours starting after 8:00 AM on Friday June 3, 2011.

Moonlight Terrace:
Has been temporarily repaired, but paving and final repairs will be at a future date.

Sherwood Drive:
  • Has damage near the intersection with River Street and has reduced travel lanes in that area.
  • Repairs are to be completed there by the end of this week.
Town Hill Road:
  • Has road shoulder erosion in several areas.
  • Repairs to that area are scheduled mid to late next week once Gallison Hill traffic is re-opened
City personnel are continuing to make other repairs as they are reported and discovered. If you have knowledge of a damaged roadway that is in need of repair, you may report it to the Department of Public Works office at 223-9508 during the daytime.


News View All

September 08, 2015

Rialto Bridge Repairs

Read Full Story

September 08, 2015

City Announces Community Budget Forums

Read Full Story

August 25, 2015

Terrace Street Culvert Replacement

Read Full Story
Events View All

Oct 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Development Review Board


Oct 19, 2015 5:30 pm

Planning Commission Meeting


Oct 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Development Review Board

Notices View All


Read Notice


Read Notice


Read Notice