The Public Works Department is the largest of City departments and is responsible for providing a variety of services to the residents of Montpelier.
The Public Works Department oversees six divisions:
- Streets Division
- Water & Sewer
- Water Treatment
- Wastewater Treatment
Our on-going responsibilities are:
- to repair and maintain:
- City streets and sidewalks
- retaining walls
- storm drains
- water and sewer mains
- pump stations
- storage tanks
- water and sewer services
- DPW crews perform:
- snow plowing
- snow removal
- street sweeping
- maintenance of street benches and trash barrels
- autumn leaf pickup
- traffic signing and pavement markings.
- Our personnel maintain the Public Works buildings, grounds and equipment to the highest standards.
- The Montpelier Public Works Department is responsible for maintaining the physical improvements and infrastructure which provide necessary streets, bridges, pedestrian facilities, and utility service to the citizens of Montpelier and the general public.
The Public Works Department also provides flood monitoring through its River Watch/Ice Jam Prevention program implemented after the Flood of March 11, 1992.
Detailed information on past and current construction projects can be found on the Works in Progress section of the City's website.