2015 CANDIDATE INFORMATION: REQUIREMENTS AND FILING DEADLINES
(Scroll down to see downloadable packet, including sample petitions, filings, etc)
1. Petitions need to be filled out showing your name, the office and term for which you are running. This information needs to be on each page of your petition. You must also submit a consent form to the City Clerk's Office. It would be helpful if the consent form was submitted at the same time you file your petitions. All forms are available at the City Clerk's Office, or downloadable below.
2. Your petition must contain no fewer than twenty-five names of registered voters in the City of Montpelier. If you are running for the position of Council Member in one of the city's three council districts, the names you collect must be from that council district. You must also reside in that district. A voter shall not sign more than one petition for the same office (the first signature turned in counts).
3. Petitions must be filed with the City Clerk's Office not less than thirty nor more than forty days before the annual city meeting.
4. If there is competition for any office, the Board of Civil Authority will draw lots for placement of candidates' names on the ballot. You can check with the City Clerk's Office for the time and place of that meeting.
5. The exact deadlines for this year's petition are:
- No earlier than Thursday, January 22nd, and no later than Monday February 2nd at 5:00 PM.
6. If you raise or spend $500 or more, open a campaign bank account, or make a mass media expenditure of $500 or more, campaign finance filings are required
to be filed with the City Clerk’s office.
|If you have any questions, please contact:
City of Montpelier
City Hall, 39 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05602-2950
(802) 223-9500 FAX: (802) 223-9524
|Annual City Meeting