No building addition or building system may be erected, installed, renovated, altered, demolished or moved prior to the submission of a complete building permit application to the Building Department and the issuance of a building permit by the Building Inspector. This includes but is not limited to the installation of new heating equipment, new electrical equipment, new gypsum wall board, and new solar panels.
You will need a Building Permit for...
Building Permit Exceptions
Building permits are not required for routine maintenance and minor repairs, as determined by the Building Inspector. Please contact the Building Inspector to determine if your project requires a permit. Your project may also require Zoning approval, please check with the Department of Planning and Community Development.
Please see the City of Montpelier Ordinance Chapter 4 (PDF) for complete wording.
- 2017 Development permit For EVERY project.pdf
- 2017 Building Permit attachment Basic.pdf
- 2017 Building Permit Attachemnt Long form.pdf
- Certification of Work Completed - Request for Final Inspection- 2022 (PDF)
- Building Permit Information (PDF)
- City of Montpelier Ordinance Chapter 4 (PDF)
- Fire Alarm and Sprinkler application (PDF)
- Sprinkler Tax Credit A (PDF)
- Tent Permit Application (PDF)