The Recreation Center will be closed to all activities starting Monday March 16th until further notice.
In order to continue to provide core services to residents the City will be highly limiting access to its public buildings.
This decision does not come lightly, and we will be reevaluating our approach often to make sure we are serving the community to the best of our abilities.
Building and Event Closures and Cancellations:
- The City Manager and the Clerk’s office will be open normally.
- Please every effort to interface with the City remotely- many services can be provided online through our website https://www.montpelier-vt.org/ and https://www.montpelier-vt.org/164/Online-Payments or via a phone call:
- City Manager’s Office: 802-223-9502
- Clerk’s Office: 802-262-6281
- The Finance, Planning, and DPW Administrative Offices, the Community Justice Center, and the Teen Center will be closed and locked to public access
- Planning will be providing permitting and inspection services by appointment
- City Hall bathrooms and the lobby will be available during normal business hours
The Police Department’s front lobby will be inaccessible to the public. Folks can communicate with Dispatch through the intercom next to the front door and an officer will be sent out to talk to those requesting assistance
The Montpelier Senior Activity Center:
- All events, classes, etc. excepting the FEAST program have been cancelled until further notice
- FEAST meals will be provided on a to-go basis. Folks are welcome to volunteer to help deliver meals, please contact the Senior Center at 802-223-2518
- All open gym, basketball, pickle ball, classes, programs, after school programs etc. in the Rec Center will be cancelled until further notice
- The April 11th Egg Hunt in Hubbard Park has been cancelled
Further steps we have taken:
- Please continue to increase the frequency of scheduled cleaning and sanitation efforts across all of our facilities, especially in common spaces and highly trafficked areas
- Any rentals or external meetings hosted at City Hall have been cancelled until further notice and the City will not be approving any new City Hall space rentals until further notice
- All City Committee meetings have been given the recommendation to meet via Phone Conferences
- Staff will still be on-site if members of the public do want to attend in person
- City Council meetings will continue as scheduled in City Hall
- The Lost Nation Theater will be pushing back their season to begin later in the spring. Please look for their independent communications regarding their schedule
We are not planning on making any broad recommendations to private businesses or events regarding their operations at this time. The City implores folks to use their best judgement and recommendations from the Vermont Health Department (https://www.healthvermont.gov/).
The mission of the Montpelier Recreation Department is to provide a variety of quality programs, community events, and recreational services in a safe and affordable manner, and to effectively develop and maintain recreational facilities for all residents of the Montpelier Community.