What can I do to protect my property?
After prevention, perhaps the most important flood protection device is insurance. There are also many ways to physically protect your house, building, or property from damage due to flooding. These include elevating your building above the base flood elevation, installing closures and sealants around doors and windows, constructing new watertight walls, or constructing floodwalls or levees.

The Kellogg-Hubbard library has the following books which explain floodproofing in more detail:

Floodproofing Non-Residential Structures, FEMA, 1986.
Retrofitting Flood-prone Residential Structures, FEMA, 1986.
Design Guidelines for Flood Damage Reduction, FEMA, 1981.

You can get more information by visiting the
Kellogg-Hubbard Library website.

Show All Answers

1. Is my property at risk of being flooded?
2. What can I do to protect my property?
3. How can I purchase flood insurance?
4. How can I prevent my property from floods?
5. What if my property is not the floodplain?